Since the awarding of one of the very first modern patents to Samuel Hopkins in 1790 for his potash production method, chemical patents have been […]
I care about people and their business goals. So whilst I consider client instructions carefully, I always look to make recommendations that are practical, commercially strategic, and that add value.Warren Chandler - Senior Associate, Patent & Trade Mark Attorney
When you’ve excelled in a particular field for 30 years, you build a name for yourself. When that area of excellence is mastering a scientific approach to IP strategy, you also earn the admiration of both colleagues and clients. But for Warren Chandler, it’s only ever been about creating strong intellectual property assets for his clients.
The claim ‘attention to detail’ tends to be used far too liberally – but Warren’s appetite for detail can be seen in his comprehensive assessments of client’s commercial IP strategies, and it’s something that delivers literal and measurable results. Several Australian companies that Warren has advised from start-up stage have now emerged as large, well-known commercial enterprises with strong intellectual property assets. This is where Warren, and by extension, his clients are well served by his 24 years’ experience as a patent attorney in chemical engineering.
Warren worked across a broad spectrum of disciplines during the course of a 7-year tenure at the CSIRO. Fields as diverse as radical polymerisation of diallylamine monomers (at the division of applied organic chemistry) to chemical engineering, and controlled release of veterinary pharmaceuticals (at the division of Animal Production) were traversed during this time. With the dawn of the 90s, Warren registered as a patent attorney, commencing in his area of speciality, applied chemistry and methods of treatment of diseased states in animals and humans.
Warren’s modus operandum has always put client service and quality first. Warren’s reward? The satisfaction of a raft of listed and private companies whose businesses have significantly increased in value as a result of his assistance as their patent attorney.
A patient man, known for his tenacity, Warren has never lost a staring competition with his home-brewed beer and produces a brave if not aggressive drop for the private collection.
- 24 years’ experience as a patent attorney in private practice and at IP Australia
- Extensive patent oppositions and litigation experience
- Succeeded in a patent opposition matter for a pharmaceutical company against multi-national – the multi-national acquired the business of Warren’s client due to strength of its IP
- Patents Examiner at IP Australia for 8 years in the fields of applied chemistry and pharmaceuticals
- 7 years at CSIRO – Applied Organic Chemistry and Animal Production divisions
- Fellow of Institute of Patent & Trade Mark Attorneys Australia
- Member of the Royal Australian Chemical Institute
- BAppSc (Applied Chemistry), MAppSc (Applied Chemistry)
- Chemical engineering patent attorney specialist