Medical Device Patents
Patent protection is essential for protecting medical device inventions which often have significant development lifecycles, during which journal papers may need to be published, and normally gain market acceptance slowly so a first to market strategy is not sufficient protection. For medical devices, IP protection is essential to protect commercial profit margins and to justify the investment in medical technology development.
Medical devices, methods of medical treatment and software are all patentable in Australia.
Examples of Medical Device Patent applications
- Surgical equipment and methods patent applications
- Dental devices patent applications
- Mechanical and electronic implantable devices patent applications
- Endoscopic, obstetric and biopsy devices patent applications
- Hospital resource management tools and software patent applications
- Signal processing patent applications
- Diagnostic aids patent applications
- Human-device interfaces and biocompatibility patent applications
- Auditory prostheses patent applications
- Imaging patent applications
- Drug delivery devices patent applications
What are the key regions for Medical Device Patents?