Consumer Product Patents
Consumer products are fast moving and typically less complicated compared with inventions in other industries, so people often disregard the importance of filing patent applications for them. However, often the simplest innovations are the most profitable and carry the least commercialisation risk.
Contrary to popular belief, simplicity is absolutely no bar to patentability – patents are granted and designs are registered on new consumer products every day and are enforced around the world. This allows companies and entrepreneurs to benefit financially from their bright ideas and investment in their own inventions.
What products are patentable?
So long as your consumer product is new, inventive and has functional utility, it should be patentable in any country around the world.
Examples of granted consumer product patent applications
|Consumer electronics|| |
Disney Enterprises, Inc
Vorwerk & Co. Interholding GmbH
|Clothing, footwear & fashion (patent applications & registered designs)|| |
|Sporting equipment|| |
Roka Sports, Inc
|Toys & novelty goods|| |
Explore Nook Pty Ltd
|Architectural fittings|| |
Illinois Tool Works, Inc
Van Tonder, Andries Johan
Kambouris Shares Pty Ltd
Fujian Xihe Sanitary Ware Technology Co., Ltd
What are the key regions for consumer product patents?
- USA – largest consumer product market in the world
- China – 90% of consumer products are manufactured in China and the 4th largest consumer market in the world
- Europe – many countries can be protected by a single product patent application and the 2nd largest consumer region in the world
- Australia – particularly if this is your pilot market and inexpensive
- New Zealand – inexpensive addition to an Australian application as our firm files directly in NZ too