Civil Engineering and Construction Patents
Innovations in the field of civil engineering and construction are brought about by the need to meet or exceed existing building standards, shorten lead times, minimise cost and maintain the safety of the generally capital-intensive construction projects. In Australia, civil engineering ranks among the top 5 industries for filing patent applications in 2018.
So long as your civil engineering or construction industry technology is new and inventive, it should be patentable in any country around the world. In relation to protection of technologies involved in large projects, it is difficult to maintain confidentiality; thus, an early patent filing date is particularly important.
Examples of granted civil engineering and construction patent applications
|Building construction systems||
|Prefabricated building systems||
Pan, Margarett MRS; Sunrise Smart Built-IT Co. Ltd.
|Methods of construction||
Neil, Peter Mervyn
DALF Enterprises Pty Ltd
|Heating & cooling systems||
Yuan, Xianyang MR
|Concrete compositions & building materials||
Kuraray Co., Ltd.
Nisshin Steel Co., Ltd.
|Underground pipe installation||
Tracto-Technik GmbH & Co. KG
Nowland, Denis Alfred
|Rail infrastructure & rolling stock||
Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Corporation
|Power distribution infrastructure||
Redarc Technologies Pty Ltd
GTL Renewable Pty Ltd
|Recycled bulk materials||
Clyde Process Limited
Sayfa R&D Pty Ltd
What are the key regions for civil engineering and construction patents?
- USA – Largest market in the world that is closest to the style of the Australian market, so that improvements in building or other infrastructure construction will often translate from the Australian market to the US market.
- China – A large economy continually undertaking substantial infrastructure projects and quite open to innovative construction technology.
- Middle East – As we can protect 6 countries in a single Gulf Cooperation Council patent application and these countries expend large amounts on infrastructure yet have a requirement for high quality and innovative developments.
- Europe – Over 20 countries can be protected by a single European patent application and this forms the 3rd largest economic region in the world
- Australia – Particularly if this is your pilot market and the infrastructure is required in fields that are related to commercial projects like mining, education, health, transport and telecommunications.