Seán is a registered Australian and New Zealand Patent Attorney and has more than 20 years of experience in IP. During his career, he has worked for major intellectual property firms in South Africa and Australia, where he gained experience in the fields of pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, medical devices, veterinary products, and chemical patent applications.
Seán is particularly interested in the management of his clients’ intellectual property assets underpinned by a strong focus on the clients’ needs.
Seán has been awarded degrees in science, law, and ancient cultures by the University of Port Elizabeth, UTS, Sydney, and Stellenbosch University.
Seán completed a PhD in neuroscience at RMIT University, Melbourne. The focus of Seán’s research related to the discovery and characterization of a new excitatory amino acid transporter in mouse and rat brain. This protein has been identified as a likely candidate for therapeutics for the treatment of numerous neurological diseases, neurodegenerative diseases, and neuropsychiatric diseases or disorders.
Seán is a Fellow of the Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia and an Attorney of the High Court of South Africa.
Seán lectures intellectual property and medical subjects at several universities. He enjoys reading widely and has a particular interest in literature of the ancient world and philosophy.
Whenever possible, Seán enjoys heading out with the dogs to spend time with the horses.
- BSc (Biochemistry and Zoology)
- BSc (Hons) (Biochemistry)
- BJuris (Law subjects, Latin, English, and Afrikaans)
- MSc (Biochemistry: Research degree focused on the enzymology and protein chemistry of the proteasome)
- LLB (Law subjects, postgraduate award – equivalent of JD)
- Master of Industrial Property (Patent Law, Trade Mark Law, and Design Law)
- BPhil (Ancient Cultures of the Near East and Mediterranean)
- PhD (Neuroscience)
- Registered Trans-Tasman Patent Attorney (Australia and New Zealand)
- Attorney of the High Court, South Africa
- Fellow of the Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys
- 25 years’ experience in intellectual property law at top tier firms in Australia and South Africa