Many inventions that are invaluable in daily life, for example, computers, compact disks, smartphones, lighter and stronger building materials etc. have their roots in basic research laboratories operated by academics and their students in our universities.
Understanding the complex or abstract physics concepts embodied in such research can be difficult to comprehend. More difficult still is converting such abstract concepts into language that the general populace can understand, such as is required in physics patent applications.
At Baxter IP, we have patent attorneys specialist in physics patents which enables us to speak the same language as researchers and to better translate their innovations into patent assets. We have great depth of experience and work closely with university partners, university spin-outs and other commercial enterprises to help protect innovations in the field of physics.
Patent attorneys at Baxter IP speak on -
What is or is not patentable in the physics industry?
A common thread throughout patent law worldwide is that fundamental physical principles are not patentable in themselves or for all known and as-yet unknown applications of such principles. However, the practical application of those same fundamental principles very often lie squarely in the realm of patentable subject matter.
For example, Einstein’s famous principle relation governing the inter-relationship between mass and energy E= mc2, in and of itself would not be patentable in isolation. However, the many practical applications of this relation such as, for example, nuclear fusion/fission reactors, atomic weapons, CT & PET scanners in hospitals or the humble smoke detector in your house are all eminently patentable applications of E=mc2.
What patent strategies are particularly useful in the physics industry?
- File in Australia before national phase with many claims (no excess claims fee)
- Achieve acceptance around the world more quickly by:
- Acceptance in Australia
- Request expedited examination without Government fee
- Australia has a lower threshold for inventiveness than some jurisdictions
- Copy accepted claims in US, Israel Singapore and other countries using the Patent Prosecution Highway (PPH)
- Increase Australian protections by filing a divisional innovation patent which is quick to have granted and is difficult to invalidate.
What countries should be considered for physics patents?
- United States of America
Baxter IP's patent attorneys' extensive experience in the physics industry
Which Baxter IP patent attorneys handle physics patents?
Many of Baxter IP’s patent attorneys have more than 10 years’ experience each in drafting and prosecuting patent applications in the physics industry and experience in dealing directly with university researchers and academics, including:
Who are some of Baxter IP’s clients in the physics industry?
- Lockheed Martin Corporation
- Thomas Electronics of Australia Pty Ltd
- Cyclopharm Limited
- Red Garage Ventures Pty Ltd
- HEMS Systems Pty Ltd
Recent examples of cases Baxter IP patent attorneys has handled in the physics industry?
- PCT/AU2013/001234 – A Radioisotope Concentrator
- PCT/AU2014/000939 – A Display System For Ambient Light
- AU 2015900481 – Colourimetric Hydration Sensor and Associated Systems and Methods
- PCT/AU2012/000975 – Engine Fuel Enhancement Management System
- AU 2010303747 – Modular Heat Exchanger